Friday, 27 February 2015 00:00

6 Ways You May Lose Your Canadian Permanent Residency

In the Canadian context a permanent resident is someone who has been given permanent resident status by immigrating to Canada, but is not a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents are citizens of other countries.

If someone is living temporarily, such a student or foreign worker is not a permanent resident.

Refugees who are resettled from overseas become permanent residents through the Government-Assisted Refugee Program or the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program.

Someone who makes a refugee claim in Canada does not become a permanent resident at that time. To become one, the Immigration and Refugee Board must first approve their claim. Then, they must apply for and get permanent resident status.

Once you became a permanent residence you will receive a permanent resident card (PR card) which is your proof that you are a permanent resident of Canada. If you leave Canada, you will need this card to re-enter the country on a commercial vehicle, like an airplane, boat, train or bus.

If your permanent resident card expires, it does not mean you have lost permanent resident status.

As a permanent resident, you have the right to:

  • Get most social benefits that Canadian citizens receive, including health care coverage,
  • Live, work or study anywhere in Canada,
  • Apply for Canadian citizenship,
  • Protection under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
  • You must pay taxes and respect all Canadian laws at the federal, provincial and municipal levels.

However you are not allowed to:

  • Vote or run for political office,
  • Hold some jobs that need a high-level security clearance

In general you may lose your permanent residency if:

1. You do not live in Canada for two (730 days) out of five years;

2. You are convicted of a serious crime and told to leave Canada;

3. You become a Canadian citizen;

4. You voluntarily give up (renounce) permanent resident status

If you became a permanent residence through protected person (Refugee) then you also lose PR if:

5. You travelled to your country of nationality;

6. Apply for or renew a passport issued by your country

Read 12196 times

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.

Community Events


In case you are in the area you might want to join one of the below events.


Passport Renewal

Renew your Nepali Passport
By November 24, 2015
Only Machine Readable
Passport is valid after this date. Embassy of Nepal


Events in Montreal

Free and paid events in Montreal - All summer long, Sainte-Catherine Street turns into a pedestrian zone for artists.
Learn more...


Attraction in Toronto

Toronto’s most famous landmark is more than just an engineering wonder - Toronto has something for everyone all year long
Learn more...